Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Catch - up post number 3, Packing, packing and cleaning so we can leave Denver

Our last 4 weeks in Denver went extremely fast. Between graduation, Cheney boys golf trip, finishing up work, packing and cleaning the apartment and loading the movie truck, a family wedding to attend and last but not least a work going away party hosted by my boss at work (the night before we drove to Utah) we were very busy.

After the golf trip in Denver, Duke's parents so graciously stayed in Denver (after going to pick up a bus in Oklahoma) to help us pack and clean and load the moving truck. We definitely couldn't have finished these tasks without their help. I don't think I could thank them enough for everything they helped us with.

I finally finished my last day of work the Wednesday before we planned to leave town. Between saying last goodbyes to all of our friends, eating one last time at all of our favorite restaurants and finding time to finish packing and cleaning, we were go, go, go until the minute we left!

So, you ask why am I posting more graduation pictures? Well, these are not to portray more photos of graduation, but to show you the building that I used to work in. This is the Army hospital that President Eisenhower was treated in (yes although renovated, for the most part, still feels like a hospital on most floors). I didn't think I would miss this building... the life size cockroaches, the water that was contaminated with lead, and the people I worked with inside, I'm finding that I do miss that place! It was a part of our life in Denver for so long, how could I not miss it?!























And, why do you ask that I have a picture of a jeep? Well, this used to be my (our) jeep. I really liked driving this jeep for the year that we owned it... We decided that everything else we had going on wasn't enough, so we posted our jeep on Craigslist to see if it would sell before we left Denver. We posted it on the Sunday before we left and we sold it by Tuesday night! We were so blessed for this happening! So, goodbye to the jeep, it was fun while it lasted!










Last but not least, the apartment complex that was home for us for the last 3 years of our Denver experience. Albion Court Apartments. If you didn't manage to visit us in these 3 years that we lived in Denver, the apartments were a little better than what they look like from the outside. Our apartment was a one bedroom with a loft that had 20 ft high vaulted ceilings. It took a year of convincing me to move to these apartments, and I tried to get Duke to move us about every six months after living here, so I never thought I would miss this place. For a number of reasons:

Absolutely no storage (no linen closet, no pantry, no storage)
The bathroom, need I say more? (the bathtub was falling apart and I just felt gross in this bathroom - it never felt clean no matter how much I scrubbed)
The Kitchen: No storage so our food storage was stored behind the counter held up by cinder blocks and wood slabs. The cabinets: horrible design, not enough room for dishes. The fridge, was probably as old as the complex!
The living room: was more long than wide which made it difficult to arrange furniture
The sirens from the fire trucks, police cars and ambulances that echoed in our apartment as they constantly drove by at all hours of the day and night.
The helicopters that frequented flying over the top of our building to land on the hospitals.

There were a number of reasons to not like this place, but when we got everything out and made one last run through to be sure we didn't forget anything, I was sad in my heart to be leaving!










Duke drove the moving truck and I drove the car. As we left the intersection one last time that has a stoplight that took absolutely forever to turn green, I decided I was really going to miss that intersection. I was going to miss my short 3 mile runs down hale parkway up to 8th and Monaco. I was going to miss the short distance to the baseball park downtown. I was going to miss Park Meadows and Cherry Creek. I was going to miss my soccer pals and playing soccer twice a week. I'm pretty sure Duke still doesn't know I shed tears when I left, but it is true. I got over them by the time we made it to the 25, but it did happen. Oh, okay, I'll stop now!

We do miss Denver, but are excited to be in Reno. Sorry this post wasn't so exciting, but I had to document what we did as we moved...

Here's to the end of catch-up post number 3! So far so good!

1 comment:

JTCheneyClan said...

Crazy how things come full circle. You wonder how you will survive it and than you can't believe you are leaving it all behind. Sure glad you are in Reno. Grayce and Mason were sure bummed to have missed you while we were there. Nice work in you catching up efforts